[bct] Re: Samples of synthesized speech

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:39:35 -0600

I feel basically the same way you do Neal about the more human-sounding
synthesizers.  I don't like the choppiness of the sound.  At least that is
the way my ears perceive it.  I thought Daniel sounded the best of the three
I listened to at the site you posted.  It seems like the word to is often
not pronounced very well, as if it blends into the next word.

750 words a minute?  Wow!  I will never understand how so many people can
actually listen to and comprehend speech at such a rapid rate.  More power
to you.  I know you can get a lot more read.  I do not speed up talking
books or synthetic speech much at all.  It makes me feel extremely tense to
try to understand rapid speech, human or synthetic.  I know I am in the
minority as most blind people seem to prefer speech as fast as it can go.  I
always marvel at the folks who ask if the Double Talk in the Book Port can
go any faster.

Joni, who must have a slow southern brain