[bct] Royalty free music for podcasts

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 06:53:10 -0500

After our recent discussion about copyrights, I thought I would pass this on to all the budding podcasters.

http://www.magnatune.com

This site is for a startup recording company that does not use the usual recording industry mold. They have several hundred albums and many artists in many genres. You can purchase a physical cd for as low as $9.97, or the wav files for the cd for as low as $5. Artists receive half of the price of the music. The music is royalty free if you are using it for a noncommercial podcast or even for a commercial one if your profits are less than 50k/year.

If you cannot afford even the $5, you can arrange to get the wav files free to use in your podcast. All you must do in return is to give magnatune.com credit in the podcast.

I purchased an album to use a track from as theme music for my financial therapist podcasts, coming in January. It takes a bit of time to download an entire cd as wav files, but it is worth it. You can get the mp3 files, but I suggest getting the wav files so you can edit them, fade them and such inside your main podcast file.

Dan