[bct] Re: Relationships

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:30:53 -0500

Hi y'all,

I'm a long-time on and off listener, but just subscribed to the list. Wow, I guess one advgantage (albeit a small one) to quoting an entire message without trimming for context is that one can read the bulk of a thread all at once. So it is that i got to catch up.

This whole topic of relationships, how people do things, all that has always been kind of interesting to me. Before I dive in (well, i guess by way of diving in), I have a couple comments on what I've read so far. First, though, to Jamie, who wrote:
The NFB makes asking for help in a
restaurant seem like a crime. If I am misreading their philosophy, I will
stand corrected

I think it's important to separate individual members of an organization from the organization itself, sometimes. Of course, it's true that an organization is no more nor less than its members, but that said, there are certainly extremes, and we in the NFB certainly have our share of people who can take a good thing to extremes. Of course we should ask for help when we genuinely need it. By the same token, we should learn to do things for ourselves that we can, and it's important that we strive towards independence on par with our sighted counterparts. Does that mean we never ask for help, or doggedly do everything ourselves at all costs and under all circumstancces? Of course not. What it does mean is that we should challenge ourselves to try things that we maybe think will be difficult, things that maybe we want to do but don't think we can, or things we don't know how to do but know that can be done. We, in other words, should strive to be more than we currently are, and that's called growth. And all of us, blind or sighted, should grow, else we're just dying.

But y'know what? This is long enough, so I'll write another novel on relationships some other time.

-- Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV | Work from home the Watkins way! Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx | Your phone and computer can really pay! 888-75-BUDDY (888-752-8339) | More info at http://www.tastybiz.com AIM/Skype/Yahoo: kb5elv | ***See my online newsletter*** MSN: kb5elv@xxxxxxxxxxx | http://assist.21publish.com/brannan Google: bbrannan@xxxxxxxxx | Personal: http://buddy.brannan.name