[bct] Re: Reed's intro

  • From: "Reed Poynter" <Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:05:20 -0800

Very well stated.

At TELUS, the IT staff are classified as management staff.  I saw so many of
my colleagues invited into a conference room and told without warning that
they were no longer needed by the organization.  "it has nothing to do with
your performance...It is part of the reorg...".  Here's your package, here's
your jacket, there's the door.".
It doesn't matter if you've devoted 20 years 25 or 30 years; often working
extra hours without compensation to get the job done.  You could be the only
person in the organization with a specific highly demanded set of skills.
If a manager three levels up determines that your section needs to operate
with 1 less person and he identifies you as the one, you're  are gone.

They treat you like a dish rag. They use you, ring you out and throw you in
the corner.

This treatment of management staff is not unique to TELUS.  I think most of
the large organization's upper level managers all read the same "how to
manage your employees" new book a few years ago.
In a few years, they'll all read a new high powered "Business Knowledge,
Real World experience - your most valuable resources" book and things will
move back to where they should be.