[bct] Re: Recorders for the blind

  • From: Kenneth Reed <kennethreed905@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:05:14 -0500

Hi Sam, I agree that olympus is heading in the right direction, the only thing they need to do, is to allow us access to the menu displays.
I think the simplest way is to gives us the usb port to tel us the status.
Regards KenAt 11:38 AM 3/8/2006, you wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just a few thoughts that may help on the recorder issue.

I agree that there are many different uses for the recorders and that will detail what brand / feature set is best.
But, I think that accessibility is the key thing we all need.
Meaning that if a recorder is accessible but, not best suited to the job at hand ... I may live with it because at least I can operate the dang thing.
I don't think we can develop a recorder for the blind because we all have different wants and expectations for the device that may conflict.
Some have mentioned .wav files but, I personally don't think that will work well.
First they are large and you will lose lots of record time.
But, this is not about my personal opinion on a feature set for a digital recorder for the blind.

I think that Larry has done is best to identify a recorder that is the best all around for the blind at this time.
Meaning that it's accessible and has the main basic feature set we all need.
Olympus has shown over time to have the beeps we need to at least run the things in the first place.
I think that if we try to work with Olympus to either create a version for us or add a few more accessibility details that would help us that would be great.
I also suggest that we all spend more time finding out why the hum on the 320.
Is it the mics that are being used, is it other devices that are close by causing interference, is it truly the recorder?
I don't have these answers yet but, if we could eliminate the hum that would go a long way.
Reviewing other devices and trying to work with other device makers also is a great idea.
If we develop our own recorder I fear that it will cost an arm and a leg and be very hard to repair.

Thanks for listening ... all ideas welcome.

kenneth reed phone: 860-741-7546 skype: kvreed502