[bct] Reading Books on the Computer

  • From: "Lisa Salinger" <lisasali@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:41:41 -0500

This isn't really the most descriptive subject line for what I wanted to say,
but it's the best I could do while running on limited brain cells.  After all,
it's Friday afternoon.  (smile)
    I find that the more input I can have at once, the better I like it and the
more I retain.  Unless I am absolutely riveted, I can't sit and listen to an
audio book, and even then, the speed is usually cranked up quite a bit.  I'm
either cleaning, grooming the dogs, eating supper, or doing some other task at
the same time.  If I'm listening to a book on the computer or BrailleNote, I
like it best if I'm either doing something as well or if there's background
music of some kind.  I often read or jot unrelated notes and reminders during
meetings, and I can pay much better attention than if I simply listen.
    I guess my question is, do you think this is unique to blind people since
we're not getting the visual stimulation coming in, or is it just one of those
individual things.  In other words, do I need a chill pill?  (smile)  This has
interested me for awhile, and I'd be curious to know what others think.

Lisa Salinger
Renee, Retired Guide and
Joie, Guide/SD
Skype: Joies_Mom