[bct] Questions about LG 4650 phone

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:57:04 -0500

Hi, If the people who did the demo of this phone are on line, I have a
few questions that they or someone else may be able to help with.
I owned a LG4500 phone until last week when I was robbed at the
grocery store.  Boy! what an experience.  Anyway, I now have a 4650
and I have been trying to find out from both Verizon and LG about the
cable needed to download sounds and contacts into the phone.  I
haven't had any luck.
Let me digress for a moment.  You can skip the next paragraph if you
wish.  As a matter of fact, here is where we all come in, because I
have had no luck at all with either Verizon or LG on any disability
question I have asked them.  For example, I wanted to know how to make
the digits speak as I dialed the number.  Verizon customer service and
technical support told me to go into TTY mode.  I said, "Do you really
want me to do this?"  Yes, she said.  Of course, I knew what would
happen, but I did it just to show her.  Of course, the phone would no
longer speak any of the menus.  So I asked her if I was to assume that
because I was blind she also thought I was deaf, or was it just that
she didn't know her product?  She told me to call LG for the answer.
So, I did exactly that.  I was told by LG that this feature was no
longer available in this phone.  Funny thing.  When she told me which
menus to go to in order to verify that it could not speak the digits,
she was more than a bit surprised to hear them being spoken.  In
short, I suspect I will get more help on various products from this
list than I ever will from people who sell or make them.  This is one
reason I suggested to Larry that such a list be created.  I think we
will all find it useful in this regard.  But, now, back to my original
The podcast on blind cool tech suggested that one could get a cable to
connect to the phone and download sounds that one had created and not
just the ones you purchase from Verizon.  It also suggested that one
could download contacts.  Thank you for giving me the names of the
applications that allow one to do this, but what I don't know is where
to get the cable and if I can, in fact download sounds I have created.
If so, what format do they have to be in?
Thanks for any help on this and thanks to Larry for making this list