[bct] Re: Question Regarding Guide Dogs

  • From: "Curt" <catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:15:19 -0600

Dogs can do well in cold snowy weather and some people get boots for the
dog.  The Seeing Eye is located in Morristown NJ and Leader is in
Rochester MI and both these schools get some snowy cold weather.  A
guide dog can walk on a sidewalk covered with snowwithout any problemand
a cane user may have difficulty finding the exact location of the
covered sidewalk. The only problem I encountered was waiting for a bus,
I let my dog walk around me to help her stay warm instead of sitting at
my side.
A guide dog school will select a dog which will work best for the
handler in their home conditions.
For information about guide dog schools and other guide dog related
information visit: www.gdui.org.