[bct] Re: Problem with SSI!

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:40:07 -0800

Hi Mary,

Just wanted to remind you that you can only get SSDI if you have paid into
Social Security.  I'm not sure if that is absolute, but I do know that
someone who has only worked for a short time and paid very little into
Social Security will get a very small amount through SSDI.

I'm much more bothered by those who make well over $90,000 per year--the
point at which you stop paying into Social Security--and still collect
Social Security.  Personally, I think there should be means testing for
receiving Social Security.

My advice to Frank is to hang in there and follow through on the
bureaucratic process.  It is very frustrating, but I have seen it work out
in the client's favor more times than not in the end.

Bill