[bct] Re: Poodle Cast Question

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:00:51 -0800

It has been my experience as a lover of golden retrievers, that groomers are
usually willing to discount grooming for guide dogs. I don't feel shy asking
either because a guide is better behaved than an average pet. I explain that
my guide is used to sitting quietly and won't mind being fussed with.

My retired guide needs some special trimming now because she's old. She
needs what's called a "wide potty path" (that's a groomer term!!!) because
she sometimes falls over while urinating. she has to be handled carefully
because she has arthritis and she needs special shampoo because she's
alergic to everything. She's fourteen years old. Of course she no longer
guides and doesn't much like walking, her nails need more trimming too.
Despite all this special care, the groomers all love her and are eager to
see her and give her attention. They don't mind charging less for her even
though she requires extra effort because she's just very friendly and

So as long as you got a people-oriented poodle you could easily request a
discount and feel confident you weren't short-changing any groomers.