[bct] Re: Podcast quality

  • From: "Amy" <amy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:33:50 -0500

I hear you. While in some ways, I want to disagree, I guess quality is a bit subjective based on what we can and can't hear, and what matters to each of us in the recordings. I can tell you that as a kid, I just didn't care all that much. But when I was a teenager,I cared a lot, and I wanted much better quality than I had; I just didn't have the resources and thought it was a dream out of reach. And it's okay if for you the DS-2 meets your needs. I might end up getting one myself, as a starter for making podcasts, and having a stereo recorder. That's okay too.

It's not just a hiss. It's very hard to explain. It's like a hiss and an effect on all sounds that I seriously don't know how to put into words. i wish I could.

I have a minor hearing loss on the left ear, and a mild/moderate loss on the right. There are frequencies I dont' hear as well, particularly in the lower ranges on the left side, and everything is pretty much muted, from what I've been told, on the right. This makes some things, like traffic work, somewhat hard for me, but in recording and sound quality, I'm a huge stickler, even with the losses. Most sighted people don't notice half the junk I hear, or so they say. Grin. But the point to all that was that I notice it still, but don't know what it is. It probably has to do with the internal mic or if there is one, an internal preamp, if it's there at all. I did notice a nice difference with the external mics, which is the only way I'd go for a real podcast, personally.
I wish I knew how Jamie did his hale storm in April. I know it was the built-in mic, but it is night and day different from what others ahve done. I mean no offense by that; the other recordings aren't bad, jsut different and to me, slightly lower quality sound.
I wish I knew of anyone who had the DS-2 and the Church-Audio mics. Or the DM20 and the same mics. I'd love to compare them side by side.