[bct] Re: Podcast on degunking Windows

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:00:40 -0800

In several books and articles I've read, if you have NTFS rather than FAT as
your file system, it is unnecessary to run scandisk, or in XP, chkdsk very
often. Apparently part of the NTFS file system includes background
on-the-fly de-grunging.

Certainly if you have a FAT or FAT32 file system which was necessary for
DOS, Win 3.1/95/98/me, it is important to run scandisk regularly for
locking out bad sectors and moving data on failing sectors to good ones.
Before Norton's disk doctor even, there was Steve Gibson's Spinwrite, which
I used to run religiously in the DOS days.

I'd like to talk to a real expert about whether NTFS truly alleviates the
need for regular runs of disk doctor type applications, but as I've said,
the books I've read claim that the only time you need to run chkdsk is when
XP determines it should run and then XP runs it automatically at startup.