[bct] Podcast on degunking Windows

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blindcooltech@Freelists. Org" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:11:11 -0800

Well all my systems are getting sluggish, and having done this before, I
wondered if people would be interested in a podcast on de-gunking Windows.

In the first part, I'd give you a tour of the task manager, pointing out the
non-obvious stuff.

In the second part, I'd cover the services.mmc applet which lets you control
which services are automatically running. This helps weed out background
tasks you don't need to have active.

In the third part, I'd cover miscellaneous stuff like msconfig, the free
"startup control panel" which is better and putter around with the system
tray a bit.

In the fourth part I'd show how to automate the disk cleanup wizard and how
to use the task manager for regular maintenance.

This info is gleaned from reading every accessible book on Windows XP, also
from PC World articles and having access to a computer lab where I have had
the freedom to screw a few systems up.

I don't have any microsoft certifications, and this would be XP exclusive.
Would people find such a series helpful?

--Debee