[bct] Re: Podcast on comparing JAWS and Window-Eyes

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:42:03 -0800 (PST)

Marla,

My personal opinion (for what it is worth - and since it is free, that's what
it is worth) is that as programs, JFW and WE both of have positives that are
beneficial and drawbacks.  Dan has both.  He uses JFW for more applications
than WE, but in some cases WE works better for him.  There are people who swear
by one or the other, but largely it is probably a case of familiarity with the
program, although in some cases there are other reasons. I think this is one of
these "Your mileage may vary" situations as no one program will be able to
equally meet all demands.  If there were we'd have one operating system, one
word processor, one browser, etc. because there would never be a need for
anything else.

Neither of them is clearly superior because what one may do very well the other
may be a clunker on and vice-versa.  Only in individual instances will one see
specific differences - such as the ability of WE to handle one program better
or the ability of JFW to handle a different program or application better.

Although no one mentioned HAL much, the programmers have the right idea
regarding artificial intelligence. If they ever get on top of their programming
premise it will a phenomenal application.

I was very dissapointed in the Apple offering.  They dropped the ball in terms
of accessibility for the blind.

I use both Macs and PCs and while I don't use a screen reader, I am very
attuned to the needs of the blind and partially sighted.

Slithy - whose personal opinions about the management of certain companies who
shall henceforth remain nameless, has nothing to do with the software, which is
not responsible for the actions of the humans who own it.