[bct] Re: Podcast on comparing JAWS and Window-Eyes

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:51:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Rose,

After I picked myself up from laughing over the blind faith comment I had to
add that I was never told such stuff by my Catholic mother - and of course, my
atheist father didn't believe in faith.  I was quite startled to find out that
other people could believe that a lack of faith in something or the bad
behavior or a person or their ancestors could cause disability.

I remember my brother's old girlfriend kept trying to get me to see Oral
Roberts so God could heal my hearing loss, which I knew was from a head injury
and had a physiological basis.  I could never figure out what on earth she was
talking about and time has proved him for a fraud with shills pretending to be
healed.  Even as a child I took one look at him on TV and knew a con when I saw
one.  So sad that people use religion to bilk and misuse others - no matter
what religion it is.  Not beating up on Christianity in particular - seems
there is always someone somewhere who is willing to be a user and abuser and
use some religion to do it.

I grew up with kids who wore leg braces from polio.  People were what they
were.  Maybe it was farming community stuff?  I dunno.  I never wondered why
someone was rich or poor, blind or sighted, deaf or hearing.  They were what
they were - sort of like a game of cards - you play the hand you are dealt.

I'm more of the mind that we come to this world with an intention to learn
something and teach something.  Sometimes the best way to teach others is
through learning something ourselves - so learning to cope with a disability
gives others the opportunity (whether they take it or not) to learn something
positive about others who are different.

I know I learn best what I have to teach to others, even if I'm not entirely
sure of what I am doing myself.  In law school people come to me to explain
things to them and I have to go find out what the answer is for myself half the
time, but it inculcates the knowledge into the few neurons I have left that are
not already in overload state.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckle, unintentional or not.  (smile)

Cheers!
Slithy