[bct] Re: Podcast on comparing JAWS and Window-Eyes

  • From: "Rick Harmon" <rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:27:19 -0500

Hi slythy,

I've been told here in Ohio that all the older case workers are retiring and
that the new ones either don't know or don't care about the people they are in
charge of and that they are much less willing to provide services.  I have been
with my VR worker now for a year and will be getting a new one shortly.  They
seem to think they can just give me 20 hours of O/M training and a few hours of
screen reader training  and then I should be able to do anything or go anywhere
without further training.  I just don't understand how they expect me to be
able to travel to work or anywhere else for that matter. I know all the
training costs a lot of money but I think we deserve to be able to compete
with the rest of the non disabled people out there and to be able to do it with
dignity.  Right now when I go anywhere I have to stumble and fumble around
since I have little training or I have to be guided by another person all the
time.

I would like to put a blindfold on the case worker and lead them around with my
level of training and see how secure they would be LOL.

Rick

=====

Author:
Helen Keller