[bct] Re: Podcast on comparing JAWS and Window-Eyes

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:22:50 -0800

That is a humiliating experience your professor had. I got a lot of that when I
was in school; I was called "that thing" by kids who had obviously never dealt
with disabled people; even in college when attending something with my room
mate, kids from the nearby University of California sat near us specifically to
make fun of us; my room mate was sighted, but they made fun of her helping me.
I even got some of it in the work place. I even got humiliated by a couple of
kids at a Billy Graham meeting one time who obviously had no training in how to
deal with disabled people; we aren't supposed to hear them when they say
offensive things about us and are standing a few feet away, and these kids were
the ones who were "trained" to wander around, pestering people to "make a
decision". It's all in the past though, so I chalk it up to ignorance. Just
because somebody goes to church doesn't mean they can't be mean. I can too, I
admit; when cult members come to my door, I slam it in their faces, and I am
grateful they don't come back. There is a time to be firm and assertive; if you
don't stand your ground with some people, they'll walk all over you and enjoy

Mary, who really hates being confrontational but there's a time and place for