[bct] Re: Podcast Question

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:07:02 -0600

Mary and others, this is not to suggest that everyone has to have
pristine quality, it's just an answer to a question.  One of the things
you notice first when you start hearing any degradation in sound is when
you have a constant sound such as a stream, an air conditioner, or
anything that has a steady sound.  You begin to hear artifacts in the
sound that make it sound like it is waving in and out.  It's not like
ocean waves, but very subtle.  The problem also is apparent in speech
with S sounds.  They are steady enough that you begin to notice a slight
degradation as described above even when you convert from an original
wave file to MP3 unless you use a rather high KBPS like 160.  You can
also start to notice the lessening of the high frequency sounds.  Now,
when you convert it back to another MP3 file, it only gets worse.  Some
people can hear this and others can not.  Some people are bothered by
this, and some are not.  So while this is not a value judgment on my
part, understand that degradation does exist.