[bct] Please Read: My Experience with 1and1 Internet, Inc.

  • From: Chetan Bakhru <drunkenmonkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:55:55 -0700

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to warn all of you that you should never go near a company called
1and1 Internet, Inc. They are located at www.1and1.com, and they are a web
hosting / e-mail hosting company. If you are using them now, I'd suggest you
immediately back away. Here's the story: I signed up for their basic Linux
hosting package, and about twelve hours later I find out that they locked my
account because I did not follow the terms and conditions correctly. What! I
hadn't even started using the account for anything yet. I started to get
suspicious and immediately moved my site over to bluehost.com. So, I call their
billing department, their tech support department (which, by the way is
horrible; they outsource you to India and none of the techs no what their
talking about, and half the time they can't even hear you), and their sales
department, and I asked them to let me log-in and let me cancel my account so I
could get my money back since they have a 90-day money back guarantee. The first
guy I spoke to said yes, you can do that. I go to http://cancel.1and1.com and
log-in with my customer ID and password, and it won't let me in. I call them
back, and they tell me I can't cancel the account if it had to do with the
terms being violated. I asked them what part of the terms I violated, and they
said nothing but, "please go to the web site and look at section such and such
(they just gave me section numbers like section 4, 5, 6, etc)". All of this was
on 05/12/2006. So, I then receive an e-mail from billing@xxxxxxxxx on 05/15/2006
saying that the amount due would be debeted from my credit card in 7 days. I
call on 05/15/2006 and get transfered around to six or seven different people,
and they give me different stories on whether or not I could cancel the account
and get refunded. I e-mailed billing also, and they never send you anything
useful; it's always a whole bunch of generic crap. They do nothing but demand
you call them and give them your credit card number. This is the worst company
I have ever seen in my entire life. So, I call on 05/16/2006 and speak to John
C. Fernandez in billing. He said my account would remain locked, but he set it
up so that I could go to the cancelation web site and cancel my package, and he
said I would get my money back. So I went through that process and received the
confirmation of cancelation e-mail. Then, I get the following e-mail from them
on 05/22/2006:

Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:33:55 +0200
From: "1&1 Internet Inc." <billing@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Reminder 05/22/2006
To: drunkenmonkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Chetan Bakhru,

Our declined debit note informed you of the current amount due to your
customer account, and
we politely requested settlement.

Unfortunately, we have not to this date received payment.

If we do not receive payment within 7 calendar days we will have no
alternative but freeze your
account and to transfer this matter to a debt collection agency and/or
terminate your account in
accordance with our terms and conditions. In addition to any agency
costs there will be a service
charge of $18.95 added to your outstanding amount.

Go to https://admin.1and1.com, and log in to the Control Panel with
customer ID or a domain name assigned to one of your packages and your
password. On the My Account page, please click on 'User Settings' >
'Credit Card Details'. After updating your credit card information,
click on 'Save'.

Please double check/update your credit card details in the 'User
of your control panel and contact our Customer Service via email at
or by phone at 1-877-300-8316 from 9am - 5pm ET Mon - Fri to resolve
this matter amicably.

For further details, please find attached a payment reminder in pdf
electronic format. It can be opened and printed with the help of the
Acrobat Reader (download Acrobat reader:

If you have any billing-related questions, our billing department
can be reached at 1-877-300-8316 Monday through Friday (except
9am to 5pm EST. We will be happy to help you clear up any questions you
have, as quickly as possible.

Your 1&1 Team

What the hell is this? I successfully canceled my account, and a week later
their sending a threatening letter saying that if they don't receive payment,
they're gonna send my account to a collection agency? So, I tried logging in to
the cancelation web site, and it says my customer ID cannot be found. So,
obviously the account was deleted. How could I change any credit card info like
they said to do in the e-mail? Warning: Be careful, this company will keep
billing you, even if you signed up for a one-year plan only and you did not
request for your package to be renewed automatically... they keep your credit
card info on file even with canceled accounts, and once you sign up with them
you're all theirs. So, I just called them today, 05/23/2006. I speak to the
billing department, and the guy told me that the invoice hadn't been paid yet
but that it had not yet been declined. At this point I was really pissed off.
Who ever works at this company is not properly trained to keep track of billing
records. Either that, or they're automated billing system has major flaws. So,
upset, I asked him what to do. He said "well, let me see what I can find out"
and he then put me on hold for about 12 minutes. He then came back and said,
"sorry to keep you waiting sir, I couldn't track down any records of an e-mail
having been sent to you; I spoke to several people in my department, so I went
ahead and canceled that invoice and you should be all cleared now. You won't be
charged for the service any more". Now, folks, I really hope this is true. I
hope I don't receive a letter from BFS Finance in two or three months saying I
am "seriously overdue". I've heard worse... If you search Google for "1and1
cancel" without the quotes, you'll find similar stories to mine.

The bottom line is, please, whatever you do, never, ever go near this company.