[bct] Re: Paypal

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:19:32 -0500

On Jan 19, 2006, at 5:04 PM, The Scarlet Wombat wrote:

Beth, I use Paypal all the time and have never had the slightest bit of difficulty. It is very accessible once you get your account set up. They do have one of those visual graphic things you must copy, so you need a sighted person or to contact them to provide an alternate. I had my account before they started that, so never confronted the issue.
This isn't nearly the issue it could be. Paypal offers an audio verification (it says "click here if you can't read the image" or something like that...) and plays a crappy recording of the characters in the image. While you may have to listen a couple times, and setting it up is a pain in the ass, it's certainly doable, and I've been using Paypal (happily, I might add) for several years as well.

Unfortunately, I think the horror stories of computer hackers and compromised personal data have been really blown way out of all reasonable proportion. That doesn't mean we shouldn't exercise normal caution, but neither should we be afraid to use and embrace something new. As Dan correctly said, your data is at least safe (probably safer) being transmitted over the Internet and one's purchases paid for electronically from start to finish, than it is in the hands of your server at Denny's (or whatever restaurant you happen to frequent), or, for that matter, a cashier at a department store. It's certainly safer than it would be if you gave it to an operator over your analog cordless phone (a thing that I'm sure many people wouldn't think twice about doing).

There are several pay services like Paypal out there, but Paypal is the largest and most popular of the lot, and, I'd wager, probably the most reputable. For the small business person, it's certainly a cost- effective alternative to something like, say, a full-blown credit card merchant account. That's a whole different discussion, though.

-- Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV | Work from home the Watkins way! Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx | Your phone and computer can really pay! 888-75-BUDDY (888-752-8339) | More info at http://www.tastybiz.com AIM/Skype/Yahoo: kb5elv | Check out the extensive selection of MSN: kb5elv@xxxxxxxxxxx | Watkins' essential products: http://buddy.brannan.name | http://www.tastyshop.net