[bct] Re: Pac Mate or BN

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:11:47 -0500

Your point is well taken, especially as regards updating only specific parts of the system. Of course, there's something to be said for having everything in one device instead of three or four, but being a technophile myself, I think I'd really like having a solution like the one you have mentioned. Of course, the up-front cost of a system like this is higher:
Brailliant 40-character braille display (IMO, anything smaller than 32 cells isn't very useful...): $6K-ish
iPaq or Dell Axim: Around $500 give or take (I haven't priced them lately)
Pocket HAL: $699, if I recall; Mobilespeak Pocket is cheaper but has no braille support;
Bluetooth keyboard: $100

That's a good $1,000 more expensive than an integrated device with the braille display included. Of course, having all of that wireless is the cat's meow, except of course for all the chargers you have to have. A small price to pay, I think, but I can see how it might be a little annoying to some.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV | Work from home the Watkins way!
Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx | Your phone and computer can really pay!