[bct] Re: Pac Mate or BN

  • From: "David Tanner" <david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:43:16 -0600

Well, I have an IBM Thinkpad t40 that is over two years old and between the
main battery and the second battery which can be hot swapable with the cdrom
drive I can get over 9 hours on a charge.  There are a quite a few of the newer
laptops that can get 6 or more hours on the main battery and have an option for
adding a second battery.

Second, Pocket Hal will allow you to use the Brailliant Braille display, which
I have used a number of times, and it is fantastic.  You can't believe how
wonderful it is to use a bluetooth Braille display that weighs 1 pound with a
IPAQ that weighs 4.6 ounces, and your choice of either the HP Bluetooth
Foldable keyboard or the Optelec EasyLink Braille keyboard.  Talk about
something that blows your mind.  And, within a few weeks I'm going to be using
that combo all the time.  What's even nicer about that setup is that when you
want a Braille display for both the computer and your PDA you can use the same
display for both and do so wirelessly.  And, in a couple of years when you want
that new PDA with sophisticated cell and every other thing you ever dreamed of
having you only have to replace the $400 or $500 PDA and nothing else.

I hope I didn't make you drool too much.  Yep, that technology is here today.
No, it isn't completely perfect yet, but it is getting close enough to be
really usable.