[bct] Owner training

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blindcooltech@Freelists. Org" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:55:38 -0800

Lisa's podcast was very interesting. I have more questions though. If other
owner-trainers are on the list, or Lisa wants to do a second cast, I'd be
interested in specific techniques she uses.

For example, how do you teach the dog to pause at stairs without falling
down them yourself? How did you teach a reliable retrieve? How do you teach
the dog the difference between a hard left and a moving left. Also how do
you teach the dog to avoid obstacles without getting yourself all banged up?

As for my casts, as soon as my binaurals arrive, I will demonstrate and
describe specific techniques I use to teach Boston and previous dogs, the
things I know. This includes sitting in different positions, touching me,
heeling with more docility, coming off-leash and finding a broad range of
stuff.  I just think this will sound better with binaurals.

I never had any trouble with housebreaking though I've raised many shelter
dogs as pets.  I have been successfull with dogs that spent their first five
years outdoors. I did use my good sense of smell though. Boston's sighted
puppy raiser also said that for other puppies, housebreaking was also her
biggest challenge. I wonder if certain personalities are better at getting
dogs to relieve where they should.

On the other hand, I get really scared when I have to keep track of
toddlers. Yet I know blind people who run day care centers -- they seem
magic to me.

I really admire the owner trainers. The idea of charging across my
employer's obstacle-congested campus with a semi-trained dog gives me the
willies! Teaching a dog to find a garbage can is child's play by comparison.

--Debee