[bct] Re: Our favorite books and narrators

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:35:55 -0600

Jamie it is a shame to lose a lot of the old wonderful narrations.
According to the NLS website Jim Walton narrated Huck Finn.  All of the old
books I just looked at, including that one and Little Women narrated by
Terry Hayes Sales, have been withdrawn.  I have not heard of any plans to
try to preserve the books in a digital format.  I imagine people who know a
lot about the process can give explanations as to why this is not feasible.

There are some good narrators nowadays, but, I feel, perhaps nostalgically,
that overall some of the earlier talking book narrators were better than
what I encounter today.

Narration of a book can either increase or decrease a person's enjoyment of
a book depending on the narrator's skills.  I have really begun to prefer
listening to books with synthetic speech due to its predictability.

At any rate, it is sad to lose the original narrations of those old
classics.

Joni