[bct] Re: Our favorite books and narrators

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:07:42 -0600

Jamie, I remember when talking books were on records and not cassettes.
In those days, I do believe the readers were much better.  many of them
were recorded at APH.  In later years, well actually starting some time
ago, recordings began to be farmed out to many more readers.  Perhaps
that was because they needed more readers to do more books.  But I still
find some of the original narrators were much better than some in recent
years.  Just my opinion.  In fact, there are some books like, for
example, the King Author Trilogy by Mary Stewart that have, in the
lifetime of talking books, been read by more than one reader.  For some
reason, they didn't bring forward the first recording on LP but instead
had a different narrator read it for the cassette version.  So, saying
what books I would like to have transferred to digital would very much
depend on the narrator.  I suspect, in time, much of the collection will
be digitally mastered, but who knows?  There are an awful lot of books
and some of them may not make it into the modern era of digital
recording.

So much for my rambling prose.

Neal