[bct] Re: Olympus WS-200s

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:35:58 -0400

I would prefer it did wav or mp3 recording, too, but at the highest
quality, you get 128 kpbs 441000 files, which are pretty good quality.

There is not a recorder on earth that will not pick up mic handling
noise.  The answer to that is do not handle the unit while recording
with the built-in mic.

I haven't seen the fill-up error yet.  That may be an issue, but
usually Olympus is pretty good about their error handling.

>>> Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:38:22 AM

After readng Larry's podcast on this I was seriously thinking of buying
one but after checking with the reviews on the USA Amazon site (UK
Amazon does not deal in it) I amhaving second thoughts.  I just thought
I would share this in case anybody else is thinking of buying.  I would
be interested to see if those of you who already have one of these can
confirm or denay these findings:

1. The WMA fprmat seemsed t be problematic both because you have to
convert from this to do most anything with the recording and because it
is a low quality format except at the highest quality setting.

2.  Poor interal microphone in that it picks up every handling action.

3. The most worrying issue was one reviewer who filled up the memory
and so froze the firmware with no way out.

Graham