[bct] Re: Olympus DS2 and audio gear

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:36:06 -0800

Beth,

The Olympus recorders don't have editing functions at all. The only way you can vary the sound or vary the pan or cut and paste is to use your PC to do it. The recorders themselves are very basic; the only basic buttons are record, stop, play, forward and rewind, and volume. And the menu button of course. There are a few others like erase and folder toggle.

I will have the Edirol R-1 some time soon and I suspect that it works in a similar way except it has some effects, specifically reverb, that I want. And with the Edirol, you have some control over how loud the recording will be.

I suppose if you wanted to vary the pan or use equalization (vary treble and bass, as you said) you would need a mixer. I just got a Behringer UB802 and it has a three band EQ built in so you can vary the sound that comes through the mixer. I am still trying to figure some things out, such as where the stereo inputs are (I know where the two XLR mono and the two line-in mono inputs are.) The only output I've figured out so far is the headphone jack. I know where all the EQ knobs are, and the master knobs, and the headphone volume and overall master volume for the mixer. I don't know about the other outputs though, and it sure doesn't look like the tape in and out use standard RCA plugs. But I could be wrong.

The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that you end up with a lot of stuff to plug in if you want to do a simple mixed recording, and you need a lot of cables and AC outlets. There's no one thing that will do everything.

Mary