[bct] Oddness about the sighted

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:50:35 -0500

Neal's superb cast about his experience in the well points up a phenomenon that I have noted many times. Those who have the marvelous blessing of vision very often not only take it for granted, but largely ignore their other senses to boot.

I cannot count the number of times I have been with a sighted person in the grocery store and they will be looking for an item that should be in such and such an area, only to not find it. They will then ask for help and the store person will walk to exactly where they were and point to the object they saw ten times, but did not see.

So, who are the blind, those who cannot see, or those who will not see?

Then, there are those who depend so strongly on their vision that they forget there are several other senses that also convey information to their brains. This is so common as to not even need illustration. However, illustrations are always, well, illustrative. A friend baked a lemon meringue pie and accidentally put in salt instead of sugar. The pie was, of course, inedible. When she told me of this, it was all I could do to keep from asking several questions. First, since when is the salt box the same shape as the sugar bag? The textures of the two items are totally different. If uncertain, a finger tip of the product touched to the tongue would instantly tell the truth. One is compelled to wonder why sighted people so often ignore their other senses.

When asked if I hear better because I'm blind, my response is that no, I just have learned to pay attention to what I hear, unlike most sighted people. This elicits both curiosity and, sometimes, anger at my impudence.

Dan the impudent