[bct] Re: Observations on the Church Audio microphones

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 04:50:40 -0500

Hi DB,

Quantization is the effect when a sound goes from one side of the recording to the other of the sound jumping a bit as if it is skipping a few places instead of a totally smooth pan. There was a sound outside that demonstrated this beautifully when you turned your head or body a few times. It is an effect that binaural microphones often have, and it was not dramatic in yours, just noticable by somebody with too much time on his hands. [grin]

Other mike terms are signal to noise ratio, this refers to the amount of hiss or noise that the microphone would have in a dead quiet place. Really high end mikes often have s/n of 85 db, yours at 68 are not shabby. The SPL means sound pressur level, it is the loudest sound the mike can handle without going into distortion or self limiting. In your case, 120 seems a tad low to me.

I don't think the limiting effect was your md recorder because I heard it on all three recording sources, it probably is the mikes or the preamp.

No, the voice moving around was not terribly disorienting, I figured you had the mikes clipped to your collar.

The change in the high frequency response from inside to outside was curious. That is why I asked if you had attached the windscreens when you went outside. I wonder if the increased sound level in general somehow affected the frequency response? Neal may know if this is possible, he is far more the expert than I am.

Take care, take chocolate,