[bct] Re: Noisy neighbors

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 06:25:56 -0800

Dan and Hope and everyone,

Just a couple days ago, there was a news story about a couple who had to repeatedly move out of their various apartments because their baby had a very high, piercing voice. It wasn't really a cry, but any sound the baby made at the top of its lungs pierced the walls and ceiling to the extent that the neighbors could hear it all over the building and the landlords insisted the couple leave. There is an investigation going on now to enable the couple to settle some place where they can stay longer than a couple months without being asked to leave. What's interesting is that this story made the news so it must have been pretty bad, not to mention disruptive for the couple and their child. I'm in the San Francisco bay area and people have to put up with a lot especially if they live in San Francisco itself, but fortunately there is more effort these days to see both sides of an issue and negotiate.

On the other hand, noisy adult neighbors can control their noise and have to obey whatever rules there are. I hope your apartment management is responsible and willing to take action.