[bct] Noisy neighbors

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:54:29 -0500

Hope, your situation may not be hopeless.  What?  Me, make a pun?

Anyway, where was I before I so rudely interrupted myself. Oh yes, the noisy neighbors above your head.

Since you have tried to resolve the issue with them, there are other directions you may go. First, scan in your lease if you have a scanner and read every word. There may be a noise policy in your apartment complex or a good neighbor policy that is being violated. Next, contact the management and alert them to the continueing problem and, if they seem unresponsive, provide documentation of your medical condition and need for sleep during the reasonable night hours.

If this gets you nowhere, contact the attorney general of your state and seek to learn if there are laws or court decisions regarding tennant rights and noise of other tennants. Several states have laws and court decisions that, basically, tell landlords they are responsible for keeping tennants quiet and orderly.

There is a legal principle in play in all states called "quiet enjoyment." This dates from the old English common law. When you have what is called a leasehold estate, your rental contract, basically, you have the right to quiet enjoyment. Some states take this more seriously than others. I do not know where you are located, so have no clue about your state.

I would suggest recording the child screaming, but in many states, recording another person without their knowledge is illegal, and I'd not want you to run afoul of the law.

Good luck,