[bct] Re: Noise

  • From: Mike Busboom <mbusboom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:58:51 +0100

Has anyone tried to keep up on what is being done (from a technological perspective) to isolate noise? I know nothing about it, but it would seem that people who have hearing impairments and blind people who can't tolerate high amounts of noise have convergent needs.

I am aware of technologies that are designed to direct "sound beams" that contain information to specific individuals in a crowd while others in the crowd hear nothing. Wouldn't it be great if you could use a similar technology to cancel specific noises while letting other sounds through?

Whenever I travel to the United States, I am amazed at the decibel level in many restaurants. When I asked someone who worked at a restaurant about this, she cited a statistic in which she alleged that restaurants kept the music at a level that ensured a higher turn-over of patrons. She said that the average patron could stand 71 minutes of music at a specific decibel level before getting up and leaving. I believe that we as blind people have a harder time in such places because we don't get the visual cues which often mitigate some of the negative effects of noisy environments.

My very best to all of you,

At 03:39 PM 11/02/2006, you wrote:
Not only is it impossible to navigate in loud places, it hurts my ears big
time--both then and pain continues for quite a while, even when it's quiet
again.  Beth