[bct] Re: New womcast uploaded

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:30:50 -0800

I admit I went up to Larry's FTP site and grabbed a copy of the womcast and loved it! What a delightful treat! Your reference to the earth's tilting on its axis reminded me of yet another science fiction story about a planet whose inhabitants were forced to become nomadic because only a narrow band of the planet would support their life form as it revolved around the sun; in order to maintain the correct conditions, they had to move constantly, making one trip around their world annually. That plays interesting and imaginative games with the concept of how a world revolves around its sun, not to mention where the sun would be located in the solar system and the shape of the planet, and whether or not it has satellites, and on it goes. A bit challenging for me since, having never seen anything, I cannot visualize and would have to get a few objects to play with as models. I recall endless discussions of this in high school geography, where we spent a full year on its physical and cultural aspects. Even in college we talked about these things and a number of other subjects, such as, believe it or not, Ray Bradbury's book, The Martian Chronicles, which is an allegory about what happens when a group of people is conquered.

More delicious ponderings to throw out for public discussion...