[bct] Re: New screen reader

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:14:44 -0400

Hi Ray,

You make a lot of unwarranted assumptions, and they are just that at this point.

As i read the Web page, which I actually did read, by the way, I infer the following:

1) It really is a real product, but it is currently not available for download.

2) The information on the Website suggests that its functionality is limited, and the information is very realistic in what it does and does not do, and what it will and will not work with.

3) The page has not asked for any personal information. The screen reader is a potential solution for people of limited means, not a replacement for a full-fledged (and full-priced) screen rader such as JFW or Window-Eyes or Hal.

4) Since no personal information is asked for on the page and no money changes hands, I fail to see how you can infer a scam from this. I reckon tis is a classic textbook example of "No good deed goes unpunished".

Anyway, just because you've had one bad experience, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who do make free or cheap software for the blind. Conversely, just because something costs $500, $600, $1000, doesn't mean it's any good or any more legitimate.

I would suggest that in future, you do a bit more research before you throw out unwarranted and perhaps damaging accusations.

Please understand that I have no connection with, nor any interest in, the Thunder screen reader or the people who develop it. I don't even know who they are or.
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV | Work from home the Watkins way!
Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx | Your phone and computer can really pay!
888-75-BUDDY (888-752-8339) | More info at http://www.tastybiz.com
AIM/Skype/Yahoo: kb5elv | Check out the extensive selection of
MSN: kb5elv@xxxxxxxxxxx | Watkins' essential products:
http://buddy.brannan.name | http://www.tastyshop.net