[bct] Re: New Community Portal / News Aggregator for the Blind

  • From: Chetan Bakhru <drunkenmonkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:45:03 -0700

Hi Mary and all,

The audio functionality on my site is now available! No, if you submit files to
the FTP site then they don't show up on my site; the web site and the FTP are
two totally different things. I've just implemented audio features on my site.
Anyone can now submit audio files to the site for others to play and / or
download. For security purposes, anonymous users may download and play files
but not post. In order to post files you must create an account (the process
takes only a few seconds). After you log-in, click on the "create content"
link, and from the content type choose audio. If your MP3 file already has ID3
tags in it for artist, title, etc, then the site will automatically detect
those for you. If not, it will ask you for the information. On the submit audio
page, please provide a description of your audio file in the "body:" field which
tells the world what the audio you are submitting is about. Then, just browse
for the file you want to upload and click submit. That's it, once the upload is
complete it will be available on the site for the public instantly. The site
also keeps statistics on how many times your file was downloaded or played, so
you can check that at any time. One more thing: the site keeps RSS feeds for
audio files which are podcast friendly, so you can use those as well if you so
desire. Currently submitting of audio is not moderated. Please do not cause
more work by uploading any pirated music or illegal content; you will get
banned immediately and your audio will be deleted. If you have any questions or
comments, please let me know. Enjoy!

Quoting Mary Emerson <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

My goodness, you are full of ideas! What a great resource you're creating!

When we use your FTP site to upload podcasts to BCT, will they also show up on your site? That would be quite nice for those of us who just have to get the latest and greatest podcasts; sort of like the late breaking news.

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss