[bct] Re: My binaurals arrived

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:20:39 -0500

Fair question. You hear more than you hear. By this, I mean you sense sounds that are not heard as actual sounds. The ear can actually tune in sounds upwards of 40 khz, but the brain does not sense them as sound, but rather, as presence. This is why much live music does not sound good on an inexpensive stereo but can sound wonderful if everything in the chain from the original recording microphones to your speakers are capable of reproducing an extended frequency range. True, this is not common, but I have heard it.

It also explains why there is no such thing as a recording that is as good as hearing the music live. Actually, there are a number of issues there, but frequency response of the equipment used is part of it.

The recorders that Neal and I use are capable of recording to 40k, so recording with those new mikes would be most interesting if you could play them back through a system capable of producing those tones. Most amps are capable, the problem lies in the interconnects and speakers. Obviously, a cd does not go that high, they cannot reproduce sounds higher than 22,050 hertz.

Dan