[bct] My Mixer, The Rest of the Story

  • From: "Dana Niswonger" <dniswonger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:16:39 -0600

Hi Friends:
After I posted last night, I realized I had made an error in judgment regarding
telling you the price of the mixer I purchased.  So those of you who do not
like reading about my life can easily know the answer to the question you ask,
I will tell you now that the mixer is a Hercules, DJ. Console.  While you can
purchase it at Radio Shack, it will cost you $249.95, plus tax.  Now for the
rest of you who like reading the stories surrounding my life experiences,
please read on and enjoy.

The Circle Game
The Story, not the song

I spent sessions during the summer at FJB. camp Bloomfield when I was a child.
One of the many songs we sang around the campfire was a folk song by Buffy
Saint Marie called, The Circle Game.  Its theme was based on a premise that
life constantly loops back on itself, I have found this to be quite true.

In 1995, I purchased three pieces of equipment from Radio Shack.  A multi band
programmable scanner, A Sony hand held cassette recorder and a set of
headphones containing an AM/FM radio.  I kept the latter two but returned the
scanner.  The products were sold to me by a young woman named Robin.  At that
time, she worked as a sales person for the store in the Lake Side Shopping
Center, Anderson South Carolina.  When I returned the scanner, it was obvious
to both Rejenia and I that Robin had been crying.  The store manager was a man
called Haskell Taylor.  We noticed that when we were making our purchases that
he seemed to belittle Robin, finally telling her to go in the back and
repackage the batteries that had been returned.  As Robin was upset upon our
return, she made a mistake and gave me $20.00's to much money back.  We left
without counting the money and went to purchase the scanner at Brendles who
were closing out there store in the Mall.  When I took out my money to buy the
new scanner, I discovered Robin's error.  When we returned to the store once
again to give her back the extra $20.00's, it was clear, she was angry.  She
just took the money from my hand and didn't say anything.  We left, confused
about her actions as she had been quite friendly on our previous visits.
Thinking no more about it, we went on with our life, until the next day.  The
phone rang about noon and it was Robin.  She ask if she might come visit us in
our home and we agreed, being curious about what had happened to her and why
she acted the way she did.  She came that very afternoon and we found out
exactly what happened.  Robin told us that MR. Taylor had been bothering her
with sarcasm and insults all the previous day.  This upset us as we too noticed
it, as I have told you.  I agreed to file a complaint with there headquarters
in Fort Worth and did so immediately.  I heard no more from Robin but when I
returned from guide dog school and visited the store again, she was now the
manager.  We had a quiet few moments celebrating her victory and she also told
us that she would have been written up formally and fired the next time had I
not returned the money we were  over paid.  In talking with Robin, we shared
many things about ourselves, learning of her elderly Mother and her boy friend
in Charlotte North Carolina.  We told her that one of our favorite movies is,
The Magnificent Obsession, starring a very exuberant, young Rock Hudson.  The
theme of this movie, for those who haven't seen it, is that one should
continually try and find unsung ways to help others by giving, telling no one
of your deed and swearing the receiver to secrecy.  Trusting the store for a
moment to a few of her employees, Robin ask us into her office.  She announced
that if I ever wanted to purchase anything else in the way of equipment from
Radio Shack, I was to contact her first, explaining what I wanted and wait
until she told me to come and make my purchase.  Our friendship with Robin
continued and we visited her store many times, always under the conditions she
specified.  When we arrived, she took us into her office and announced the
price she was going to charge me for the item.  I had also been told never to
ask questions about the price and not to ever worry about what she was doing.
I followed these rules because any time I made a fuss, she would tell me to get
out of her store, after taking my money or she would call the police.  Unknown
to us, as we haven't bought anything at Radio Shack in more than a year.  Not
only had we moved from Anderson South Carolina but so had Robin and her Mother.
 One week ago today, I called the Radio Shack nearest me and a slightly older,
very familiar sounding woman answered the phone.  It was indeed Robin and we
learned of our coincidence? we both burst into tears.  After getting
reacquainted , I told her that I needed a mixer.  We exchanged phone numbers
and Robin, of course, said she would get back to me a little later in the week.
 She called Wednesday and told me to come in Friday afternoon.  We did,and the
rest is history, or is it?
I hope you all understand why I couldn't answer your question last night but I
needed to ask Robin's permission first.

Dana Paul Niswonger
Honestly imperfect.
Living Life to It's Fullness