[bct] Music, & retirement

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:05:50 -0800

Mike and everyone,

Well said. I find that I am starting to dream of being back at the office. There are some things I miss, such as having the credit union there, conveniently, and I miss the interaction with other people, and all the laughter and crazy stuff we did together. But adjustment is generally quite pleasant. I don't have the support you have with family and church, but we both have this list, and other people we meet in cyberspace, and that is really a treat. One of the most interesting aspects of all this is that your creativity isn't being used for work stuff, so it gets directed to other things; for me, it's music; for you, it may be music or it may be something else. I was always afraid of losing touch with the ability to write something besides work related stuff, but writing music is starting to happen again. I haven't done anything with it yet because it's such a chore to set things up; the multi-track, the mixer, the keyboard, and by the time that's done, then U.P.S. shows up and I'm off on another project..

Believe it or not, I opened my guitar case yesterday and found that I only had to tune three strings, and they all sounded great! Except my G string always buzzes and I don't know why that is. When I've taken the guitar to have it adjusted, nobody else knew why it did that either; they just told me they had guitars that would buzz if you looked at them the wrong way! The thing that seems to fix it is to wrap something like a rubber band around the tuning peg for the G string. Looks weird, but I play weird so who cares! The sound comes out and that's all that matters. I don't do bar chords because I need that finger to read with the optacon, and just never got the hang of bar chords although I know what they are. So to do an A major, I turn my hand around and play it like you'd play three consecutive notes on the piano. I figure Judy Collins plays weird, so if she can, then anybody else can, too.