[bct] More on dogs

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:35:30 -0700

Larry,

I just listened to your more dog cast.  I have to tell you a funny story.  I
am not a dog user, but I have had dogs all my adult life.  Anyway, one year
my husband and several other blind or visually-impaired men were bowling in
a tournament and, since women were not allowed to bowl, I was sitting back
behind the lanes reading a braille book.  I also had three dogs to sort of
watch, one under a table (his choice) and one on each side of me.
Occasionally I'd pet one of them or talk to them but I was fairly engrossed
in my book.  I always hear things around me even when engrossed in a book
and while I was sitting there a couple of ladies walked by me and one said
"Oh, My, that lady is in such bad shape she needs two dogs to help her.  The
other lady said "No, she needs one to help her navigate and one to read her
mail!

I can tell you I had a hard time not to laugh out loud and wondered what
they would have figured the third dog was for had they notice him.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx