[bct] Re: More accessible audible Manager V. coming soon

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:10:34 -0800

>how in the name of  sanity will deleting the JAWS scripts for Audible
Manager >help?

They were scripts written for version 3.0. They don't know that the newer
version behaves differently. They do tricks to track the focus that
interfere with normal focus tracking.  I know that sounds like nonsense, but
OmniPage has the same problem.

The current version of OmniPage is 15. But the JAWS scripts were written for
version 10. They assume that the cursor looks a certain way, that windows
are a certain size and position, that icons have a certain appearance and
that buttons are in specific locations. Unfortunately, the user interface --
the "look and feel" of OmniPage has changed significantly, rendering the
JAWS scripts not only obsolete; they actually now interfere with the
program's accessibility. If you use OmniPage, version 12 and beyond, do
yourself a favor and just delete the JAWS scripts.

You know every year, Freedom Scientific is eager to extort a hefty SMA fee
from me, but they seem much less eager to keep their scripts up-to-date. I
think the speech and sounds manager is cute, but geez, why don't they fix
some of these problems and support some spyware removers and virus checkers
while they're at it.

--Debee