[bct] Re: More about talent show

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:04:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi Neal,

Dan said they tested only voice frequencies.  I thought since I could not hear
the upper end (tea kettles) nor the lower end (bull frogs) that it would
incorporate more of the audio spectrum than that.  Bullfrogs, to me, are not
voices, but whadda I know?  (smile)

At a certain level I can hear through bone conduction because my head starts
vibrating like a tuning fork, but that isn't usable hearing.  It is also
uncomfortable, as you might imagine.  Dan can probably give you the full hertz
range - I don't really remember, but I figured that those crazy whines my head
bones gave off had to be really up there in range.

My left ear cannot distinguish a fire engine siren at 20 feet - so that one is
functionally deaf - I just vibrate to the sound.

Did you do the big sound chamber sort of hearing test?  It is the good one, not
the one that a person can do in their office just across the desk from you.  I
think mine cost about $200 to get done by an audiologist - or by the Ear Nose
and Throat doc. I have seen people with little machines who do a hearing test
in an open office and those are not good ones.

The most sophisticated ones used to be called B E A R tests (can't remember
what it stood for) and they put electrodes on the skull, played sounds into the
ears and then recorded the brainwave activity as that can't be faked even if
you have hysterical deafness.  They use something similar to test babies
suspected of having hearing problems - maybe all babies, now.  My eldest
granddaughter was so non-responsive to sound we thought she was deaf as a
stone.  Thankfully, she was just really laid back about noise.  Probably from
listening to all that rock music in the womb.

I played a flute when I was a kid (hated it almost as much as I hated
practicing piano) and I have a feeling that the very high pitch did not help my
hearing at all (any more than the resonance of the piano strings.  While I love
music, I prefer it canned to live (most of the time) because it can be way too
much of a good thing.  I even have problems with the volume of sound Dan's
stereo can put out when the music goes from soft to loud abruptly.  It actually
causes me pain as a result of the old Meniere's damage to my inner ear
structure.  I can also get ringing in my ears from too much sound - an
indication of damage to the hairs and other structures in the ear.

We have so much environmental noise now that it is quite damaging to us.  Cars,
busses, trains, leaf blowers and all that sort of stuff.  Each of them has an
adverse impact.

Slithy