[bct] Re: More about talent show

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:10:57 -0800 (PST)

Since when do hearing tests only test for speech sounds?  My audiologist takes
me from the top to the bottom of the scale using high and low tones and tests
my ability to understand speech through the use of recordings of words.

It is now known that playing a violin or a viola can cause significant deafness
in the musician, especially on the side closest to the strings.  So merely the
playing of certain instruments can cause hearing loss unless the musicians wear
earplugs, which causes problems with listening to what you are doing.

I had to give up playing accoustical guitar because it causes tinnitus so bad
that it is almost painful for me.  You do not need amplification to get hearing
loss from music.

Here is a nifty little site on hearing loss and music.  The safest music is
from Bach back to gregorian chants.

My audiologist sells noise dampening earplugs - custom fitted - for about $100