[bct] More about hints for the JAWS dictionary

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:54:29 -0600

You would think I would do all my research before I sent out messages,
but the mind has been dulled by a lack of scotch this morning.
In the messages I sent about wild cards in the JAWS dictionary, I also
should have said that it would be best if you entered these words with
another synthesizer running.  That way, you don't get hung up on words
that trip up Eloquence.
Now, I think I'm done.
I'm also done with my scotch.  Pam! where are you when I need you?  You
guys drunk it all up at my virtual party.  But, it sure was fun.
Original message is below

Let's say there is a word you want to enter in the JAWS dictionary like
"Jump."  Of course, you wouldn't want to use this word, but it is a good
example.  You can actually have the original word in the dictionary be
"jump*" without the quotes.  You can then replace the word jump* with
either another word, or with a sound.  Let's say you replaced it with a
sound, and you were reading a file that had the following words:  jump,
jumping, jumped, and jumps. When you read that sentence, the only thing
you would hear would be the sound for the part of the word that used to
be jump followed by the sound of the ending part of the word.  Now, the
synthesizer is no longer speaking the actual word jump, just the
endings.  I think you get my drift.