[bct] Re: Minidisk and USB device questions.

  • From: "Jenny Axler" <jaxler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:46:10 -0800

MessageNeil, I asked about your recording because i wondered if you had,
indeed, done it just as you said, recording it in real time directly to the
computer, or if you had found another way around the transfer issue that I had
not thought of.  So thank you for clarifying that for me.  As for this device,
i have had my husband look at the device itself, the CD that came with it, and
the packagin, but can find no specific model number.  However, when I installed
the drivers it called it "C media USB sound device".  i am able to find it in
my audio devices, and can play around with the settings, however, it still does
not seem to recognize that there is now a line in, not only a microphone in.
The small amount of documentation i was able to find online tells me that it is
supposed to accept two channel input, and will output 5.1 surround stereo.  It
also told about the mic boost option.  The only reason i really mentioned this
is that I figure if i can find where this setting might be, i might be able to
find a setting to change the input from 1 to 2 channels.  purely a guess
because I can't come up with anything else.  What I actually, for the most
part, want to use it for is to record from my keyboard and vocal processor
directly to the computer, and yes, if necessary, record directly from the
minidisc.

When I plug the device in, all of the sounds from my computer come through the
line out of the device, including Jaws.  I have tested playing stereo files to
make sure the card itself is outputting instereo, and it is.  When I plub my
keyboard or vocal processor in to the line in jack, i can hear the sound coming
through my speakers as you usually can when using the line in jack, but it is
not in stereo.  This unit is something I bought from the sound professionals,
so I think I just may have to give them a call Monday morning.  They've always
been good to work with.  If you've got any other ideas for me to try, however,
I will surely take them.

either way, I thank you for your input, and want to tell you how much i have
enjoyed your podcasts and music.  I especially like the story about the well as
I was a very inquisitive child myself, in much the same way, and could easily
relate to it.  What a neat thing that your father gave you the experience of
being inside the well.  We have a well on our farm, and once, when it was open,
as old as I am, I still called down it, trying to fathom the hundreds of feet
to where the water flowed.  So reading your story somewhat satisfied my own
curiosity a bit about what it must be like in there.

Again, thanks for all your input.
Jenny