[bct] Re: Minidisk and USB device questions.

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:41:28 -0600

Jenny, a few things.

1.  I did use my minidisk recorder to record microphones on my podcast,
but I have an older minidisk recorder that does not allow the transfer
of files from the recorder to the computer.  So, I plugged the mikes
directly into the minidisk recorder, recorded the segment and then
played back the soundtrack in real time into the computer.  I happen to
have a second professional minidisk recorder which has a digital output,
and a sound card in my computer which has a digital input.  so although
the copy was done in real time, the quality of the sound was not
lessened because it was going from a digital source to a digital target.
Now, this is off the point with respect to your situation, but I simply
wanted to clarify how I did the podcast since you had asked.

2.  If your USB box is supposed to operate as both a line in and a
microphone in device, my guess is that the line in would definitely be
in stereo as it went into the computer and the computer would accept it
as such.  Now, what I don't know is, how they configure the microphone
section of your USB device.  My guess is that this is stereo as well,
but I am not sure.  If so, you should be able to bypass the computer's
mike pre-amp and use the USB one to get a stereo sound into your
computer.  But, here is my question.

Are you simply wanting to transfer sounds from your minidisk to your
computer, or are you wanting to use a microphone plugged into your USB
device and then into your computer avoiding the minidisk recorder
There are two things we can do here to help solve the problem.

1.  You could find the model number of the device you have and I can do
some research.  This might help us decide how to get to the controls.
Theoretically, if you set your device to be the default device in the
control panel, you should be able to operate the parameters such as
volume, balance, etc. from the volume control section of the computer
which you will likely find in the program menu under accessories and
then look in entertainment.  You should have a bunch of things you can
tab through like, master volume and balance, line in volume and balance,
microphone volume and balance, etc.  There is also a section here that
has to do with recording.  You get the same arrangement of line, mike,
etc, but you have to select the one you want to be used in a recording.

2.  You can call me on my toll free number and we can see if we can
figure this out.  The number is
 I'd be glad to help if I knew more.

I'm also curious how you use your screen reader if this device is
serving as your sound card.  Anyway, let's see how far we can get with a
model number and a phone call if you would like.