[bct] Microphones for podcasts

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:50:03 -0500

Thanks Neal, that was informative. I heard a very nice sounding Heil pr 40, but the s/n ratio is only 55 db, insufficient. I know one can get away with a minimal setup for podcasting, but I am working to make a living from being a financial planner and I want my casts to be of as fine a quality as I can produce without going to a studio. The sd 722 may be overkill, but there does not seem to be much inbetween the Iriver kind of device and the 722. As for microphones, I like the idea of the figure eight, though a cardioid might be fine as I do not need to hear myself, just the client responses. "They need to be clear, because some people mutter and I must hear numbers clearly enough to transcribe them later, so what might be thought of as transcription quality is insufficient. I thought of the lapel mics, but that might intimidate people. Is the quality of the boundary microphones good? I've never heard one used, so have no comparison experience.

A microphone that could switch between a cardioid and figure 8 would meet a couple of purposes, wonder if anything is available that I can afford. I do not need the head mounted mic as my plans don't include discussing finance while dodging 18 wheelers.
Larry has my admiration for being able to walk and dictate coherently at the same time. [grin]

Dan