[bct] Re: Microphone and visual verification scheme

  • From: "Lisa Hall" <lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:36:23 -0600

Hi Rick,

A few years ago I bought a microphone with a stand from Radio Shack and it
uses 2 triple a batteries and it works fine on my computer. I don't have
much equipment to work with in terms of digital recorders; however, I have
used my PacMate BX 440 with braille display and braille keyboard with
internal microphone to do the recordings. Usually it records in .wav format.
In order for me to prepare the file to .mp3 format, I usually send the .wav
file to Larry Skutchan and he converts the file for me to .mp3 format and
puts it on the server. Usually I'll put the file on the server, send him a
personal email regarding that file, and he will do the conversion. If I do
another podcast in reference to braille which I love to do, I will try to
get the courage to convert the file myself by using Sound Forge to convert
it.

I am still learning slowly but surely. I hope to be doing my own podcast
soon. One of the barriers I am having is the lack of sighted assistance in
setting up an account that requires the dreaded visual verification scheme
that so many providers are utilizing. I wish that more companies would
listen to our needs to have an alternative way of dealing with the graphical
images of the code because our screen readers will not read them. It would
be nice if an email was sent with the code inside the body of the text
message that will benefit both deaf-blind and blind people who may not be
able to understand the audio file that one provider is doing such as paypal
and yahoo if I am not mistaken. If anyone has comments in reference to
visual verification, let's encourage everyone to sign the petition that
Darrell Shandrow have started in the campaign. It is my understanding that
there are over 2 thousand signatures so far that will be prepared to be sent
to CEO of Google. Let's get serious about this problem.

Lisa Hall,

Former Consultant for Adaptive Technology for Northwest Vista College, a
college of the Alamo Community College District.

Web page: http://home.satx.rr.com/lisahall

Phone: (210) 829-4571

E-mail and MSN I.D.: lhall10@xxxxxxxxxxx

  _____