[bct] Re: Microphone Suggestions And More

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:00:10 -0600

One of the problems with cardioid mikes is simply that.  They are very
hard to wind protect without a lessening of high frequency.  Shure
makes a wind screen that goes over microphones that are basically
cylinder shaped with know large pop screen on the end of the mike.  I
don't remember their diameter, but the nice thing is that they are not
a solid ball of foam.  The outside is foam and the inside is a much
more porous foam like substance which lets more air and sound pass
through it.  The end result is that you basically have a ball of
hollow foam which does not deaden the highs as much but is not quite
as protective as a solid ball of foam.

When I record with cardioids or figure 8 mikes, I always use a
zeppelin and perhaps one or two wind covers.

Neal