[bct] Re: Making things cross disability accessible

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:27:05 +1100

Rick Harmon writes:
 > All I ask is to be treated with honesty and respect.  To be judged on my
 > skills and not pitied because I am disabled.

Aint that the truth! I don't think there is anything more irritating
than some do-gooder who treats you with pity and comes across with
that "I'm so wonderful because I work with the unfortunate" attitude.
I also find the "wow, your so amazing you can walk and talk and your
blind" attitude. I get this one a lot, which is often frustrating
because its done in reference to doing things which often don't really
require sight at all and there is nothing amazing about it. Amazing
would be me landing a 747 or winning a grand prix - thats amazing.
Being able to balance a budget, make a business decision, do a
presentation for a meeting or put together a project proposal is no
more amazing because your blind than it is for those who have sight.

Tim