[bct] Re: Making things cross disability accessible

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:25:51 -0500

Darrell, I agree, but with a reservation. Sometimes, somebody will get the short end of the stick. This is often more a matter of perception than reality. When dealing with multiple disabilities, we must be willing to compromise so all may be accomodated. This can mean, at times, that we end up in suboptimal situations, but then, so will everyone else. Perhaps with more advances in technology, such situations will be minimized.

Often, meeting the needs of multiple disabilities is just a matter of creativity. Curb cuts that work so well for folks in chairs are deadly to us. The simple solution is to texture the pavement or concrete in a manner that will alert the blind person to the cut and still provide the access to the street and sidewalks those in chairs need. This is a simple example, and nobody gets the short end of things with it.

Dan